Go shorty! It’s my birthday in two days!
Remember when I said I wasn’t looking forward to the big 36? Though I’ve always been a birthday girl, celebrating to my hearts content and the demise of my liver, I shared weeks ago that I didn’t feel like celebrating much. I didn’t want to live it up even though this shorty always pops bottles on her birthday.
Well, my 36th birthday is in two days and I’ve had a change of heart. Even though grays have sprouted…everywhere. I decided (it is always a choice) to stop being a spoiled brat and be grateful for this last year.
35 was amazing. Full of changes, I proved that I am an independent go-getter and paved my own way professionally and personally. I ended a relationship that had served its purpose. I chose to love myself more and hold out for the right man. I was on FM radio in Los Angeles as the Love Guru on Exitos 93.9FM. I had my own place in Studio City, California and enjoyed the palm trees, beaches and great weather that La La Land offers. And I started over. I packed my bags, moved cross country and lived life without family and close friends for the first time in my life. I not only survived, I thrived. I know I can do anything now.
So, here’s to my 35th year ending and what’s to come at 36. And why I’m going to pop bottles, betches!
1. I am smitten. Yes, you heard me right. This girl right here met someone special. I don’t want to talk about it too much (who? me! yes! me!). Lets just say there is promise. He is amazing. He makes my heart flutter. It feels right. I am open and hoping that this someone special becomes a big part of my life.
[ALSO READ: How to Manifest in Love and Life (Video)]
2. I am proud of me. I don’t always say so, but I am. I have done so much, yet I don’t give myself enough credit. My close friends and family always tell me so. “We are so proud of you.” “You have done so well.” They are right. I was on the radio, for Pete’s sake! That’s huge! That’s why I am patting myself on the back right now and will continue to do so at 36. I’m going to focus on what I have accomplished not what I have yet to accomplish. Because what I’ve done so far in this lifetime is spectacular.
3. I am enough. I repeat: I am enough. I didn’t always think so. Now I know that I am not supposed to be perfect. It is okay to waver, make mistakes, and doubt my path. So what if I am sometimes impulsive, blunt and extra fiery?All of these parts – the good and the not so flattering – make me who I am. And who I am is enough.
4. I have a great group of friends and family. That alone is enough to celebrate, especially since my friends and family are all hot. #BirdsOfAFeatherFlockTogether
5. I am really great at partying. Truly, I am. So much so that I wanted to be a go-go dancer in my 20s. I shine when I am in the spotlight, on and off camera. I celebrate life and birthdays like no other. I embrace that part of me. That’s why you’ll catch me on top of a table on April 16th, twerking, laughing and shinning. Cause shorty, it’s my mother f-ing birthday.
Tell us. How do you celebrate your birthday?
Photo Credit: Sujeiry Gonzalez.