I usually don’t discuss heavy topics on LoveSujeiry.com. The beauty of this website is that even topics as serious as abandonment, love and loss, and abortion are discussed with a light and comedic approach. This is mostly because I loathe news. I never pick up a newspaper and refuse to watch the evening broadcast. I get a recap of all the fatalistic, saddening coverage from Mami, who is the second coming of e-Dateline eNB-eC’s Jane Pauly.
Though I rather live in a bright bubble filled with Bacardi, french fries, and chocolate, I would feel like a terrible person if I didn’t write about the devastation that is occurring in Japan. On March 11th, 2011 at 2:46pm (Japan time), an 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck the island, shaking buildings and earthquake-proof structures in Tokyo and sending millions fleeing for higher ground. The earthquake immediately spawned a deadly tsunami where massive waves reached over 7 feet.
The affects of this horrific natural disaster continues as just today an afterschock of 6.0-magnitude hit the city of Shizuoka. If that weren’t enough, there is also a threat of a nuclear meltdown due to the force of the earthquake and aftershocks. Three nuclear reactors north of Tokyo are at risk of overheating which may lead to a radiation leak. Needless to say, the people of Japan are in deep trouble and need our help.
Here are a few ways to help this nation in this time of need:
- AMERICAN RED CROSS: This is a very reliable organization that has been around for many years and has helped many people in need. How do they work? Emergency Operation Centers are opened in the affected areas and donations are then distributed to the regions that need the help. Donate here.
- GLOBALGIVING: This organization helps victims of earthquakes and tsunamis. They disburse donations to smaller organizations that provide relief and emergency services to the affected victims. Donate here.
- SAVE THE CHILDREN: Their main focus is to provide immediate humanitarian relief by way of health care and non-food items and shelter.Donate here.
- SALVATION ARMY: The Salvation Army is a well known organization that provides clothing, shelter, and more. It has been in Japan since 1895 and they are currently providing emergency assistance to those in need. Donate here.
- AMERICARES: Their mobile emergency teams has already dispatched emergency responders to the region. Donate here.
- INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CORPS: They are currently coordinating medical relief teams and supplies to help the people of Japan and other affected countries. Donate here.
So get to helping! No excuses, especially when it comes to spending money on this cause. If I can buy a Bacardi and coke at a local bar then I can donate money to help those who have suffered due to this disastrous event. Put the drink down and give those dollars (plus tip) where it counts.