Today is Monday, also known as the most dreaded day of the week. Alarm clock rings. Snooze button smashed a hundred times. We rise to start the work week and begin our routines.
I woke up in a crappy mood. I was frustrated that I began the first day of the week on the wrong foot. I was late, groggy and cranky.
Time for coffee.
Mami’s old fashioned greca filled with coffee grains and set on the stovetop. I picked up the mess in my bedroom while waiting for Bustelo to rise. Ten minutes later, I walked into the kitchen and the coffee had yet to reach the brim. Pissed off again, I thought:
I hate Monday! I hate today! I hate my life!
That’s when I realized I needed to change my mood STAT. Everything around me, every person and particle in my environment was reacting to my negativity, negatively. How would I shake this negative energy?
By fixing my mindset.
- A Shower to Cleanse: A great shower can relax and center us. It rids us of the grime and stress of the day. I also do my best creating in the shower. Half of my book, Love Trips, was pieced together while my shoulders were under steaming, running water.
- A Musical Love Note: Music rocks my world. I can always count on the smooth rhythms and moving lyrics of a love song to bring me positivity. Today I listened to “Happy Face” by Destiny’s Child, as it is a song about appreciating our blessings and loving ourselves. “I’m living. I’m able. I’m breathing. I’m grateful. To put on my happy face!”
- Dance, Dance, Revolution: I turned on iTunes and bopped to the music. There is nothing like dancing (or chair dancing when you’re at work) to lift spirits.
- Writing: Writing about my woes, doubts and fears helps me release negative energy. Writing is my therapy. It is my leather couch in a doctors office without the cost. I rested my hands on the keys and released my emotions. And I feel so much better.
- Stare at My Vision Board: My vision board keeps me focused on the present moment and all the things I need to do today to meet my future goals. I have my vision board as a screensaver on my desktop. It is also the lock screen on my iPhone. It’s everywhere!
Bottomline, fixing our mindset really isn’t that difficult. It just takes effort, desire and certainty.
So, let me start over.
Today is Monday, also known as the start of a bright new week. Alarm clock rings and I rise and shine. And if I’m a little extra tired, at least I have the snooze button. Soon, we rise to start the work week. I am so grateful to have work. I begin our routines and I think:
I love Monday. I love today. I love my life!