On February 14, 2011, gaggles of men will rush to their local esquina and purchase 12 carnations for 5 dollars. If you’re a lucky lady, you may even get a box of mint Andes chocolate. If he’s lucky, the Popo won’t arrest him while he swipes the box from Duane Reade.
They say it’s the thought that counts, but come on! Put a little thought behind your gift! Speaking from experience, most women are just excited to have someone with whom to share el dia del amor. I’m not expecting much from my boyfriend, but dammit he better not bring me wilted roses!
Lilies, please. Lots and lots of (live) lilies.
So what does one get a woman on the day men wish for Cupid’s death? Here are a list of thoughtful, romantic gift ideas that won’t burn a hole in your pocket:
- A Mix Tape (or in this age, CD): Yes, it seems corny, but damn will she be impressed that you remembered the song that played when you first made love. It’s affordable and very sentimental as music moves each and every one of us.
- Massage: This can be at a spa, or you can be extra romantic and oil her up and rub her down yourself. Make it professional. Rent a massage table and watch as your woman relaxes and later unclenches her pepa™!
- Meet Me At A Bar: Literally. But wait, there’s a twist! Tell her to bring a yellow sunflower (or whatever her favorite flower may be). Have her wait by the bar before you come in and approach her as if you’ve never met before. Get to know her all over again. I guarantee she’ll give it up on the first date!
- Dinner by Candlelight: This is more of an experience than a gift. Still, most women would rather spend a romantic evening with their Valentine than get a box of chocolates from the .99 Cent store from their Valentine. Just as it states, cook her some dinner. If you cannot cook, hire a chef. If you cannot afford a chef, go to your local Dominican restaurant (my cultures food is amazing!) and stock up on rice, beans, y pollo al carbon. Decorate the space with some candles and rose petals. You can eat at the table or create a indoor picnic area in the center of the room. Remove the bulky furniture so there is open space. Enjoy the company of your lady. She’ll be cheesing like a juicy piece of lasagna.
- Chocolates: You really can’t go wrong with chocolate, but this Valentines Day do chocolate big! Popular websites like Chocomize allow customers to create custom chocolate bars and for a fairly affordable price. It takes giving chocolate to a sweeter level!
So this Valentines Day, think outside the chocolate box. Use any of these gift ideas to make your woman smile instead of hitting you over the head with brown rose petals. You have 7 days left so get to it! Because Cupid isn’t going anywhere.