It’s been almost a year since the horrific shattering of my heart. In that time, I’ve done some self reflection. The other day as I was driving to work and blasting Beyonce, per usual, her song “Best Thing I Never Had” came on. I heard the most profound phrase: “I know you want me back, it’s time to face the facts, that I’m the one that’s got away.”
Yes! I am the one who got away. You lost me. Your bad.
I know I’m not perfect. But when I think about all of my wonderful qualities, I look forward to that moment when a guy – the guy – says to me “what was his problem? I am never letting you go!”
When my ex couldn’t see what made me special, I realized that I didn’t need him or anyone else to see my greatness. So I ran. Not willingly at first, but eventually I became so far gone from us and our relationship that boy, bye! Fortunately, this particular breakup taught me what makes me unique and the best things about me. I should thank him for that…
So, here’s to me and my awesomeness. Here are 5 reasons why I am on the who got away.
1. I laugh at my own jokes so you won’t have to. Seriously, I can crack myself up for hours over the slightest thing. It’s not weird, it’s endearing.
2. Easy going. I don’t take myself too seriously sometimes. I love laughing and I hate how I feel when I am actually stressed.
3. I love sports. I will watch pretty much everything with you and yell at the TV along side with you.
4. Loyal. Nowadays this seems more and more rare. It takes some time for me devote myself to someone, so when I do, you’ll know it’s real.
5. I need alone time. I am not a clingy person with anyone. I won’t stifle you and I don’t expect you to feel the need to always be around me.
Realizing these things after our breakup really helped. It also takes me one step closer to Queen Beyonce. Tell me: why are you the one who got away?